Our Chapter History
The history of National Charity League can be traced back to 1925, when a group of women in Los Angeles met together to do philanthropic work, calling themselves The Charity League. Sometimes they brought their daughters with them. By 1938, so many daughters had become involved that they decided to form their own group. They chose the name “Ticktockers” and met at 10:00 a.m. each Saturday morning, which is why the Ticktocker logo clock is set at this time.
The San Fernando Valley Chapter (“NCL/SFV”) was established as the Valley Charity League in 1948, affiliated with the Los Angeles NCL Chapter in 1955, and in 1958 was one of the founding chapters of the present national organization called National Charity League, Inc.
In addition to the thousands of hands-on volunteer service hours our members donate to our philanthropies on an annual basis, our Chapter is one of five chapters out of over 200+ chapters nationwide that has a fundraising Charity Ball. We have proudly provided financial assistance since 1969 totaling over $2.6 million to West Valley Food Pantry, Guide Dogs of America, ONEgeneration and our other sponsored philanthropies on a special needs basis. These funds are almost entirely made possible through generous donations to the Charity Ball whereby 100% of the net proceeds of the Charity Ball are distributed to the philanthropies through special Grant Requests.